RED CARPET KICKOFF
The People’s Choice and Critics’ Choice Awards Kick Off the 2012 Red Carpet Season
Written by Eden Herbstman
The 2012 award season officially kicked off Wednsday night with the People’s Choice Awards, followed by the Critics’ Choice Awards on Thursday. Back to back award shows officially marked the first few months of the year where music, film, and television stars align on the colorful award show carpets to display the best (and worst) awards attire. Both award shows did not disappoint with exciting looks ranging from clean and simple elegance to bold patterns and colors. I’ve chosen some of my favorite looks worthy of any “best dressed” list.
Tons of white and blacks were showcased at both award shows, and the classic tones were played up with different shapes and silhouettes. Pretty Little Liars star Ashley Benson chose Alice and Olivia’s playful white baby doll sleeveless dress with black satin trimming at the bottom. The dress was also paired with a metallic high-waisted belt. I love that Benson’s youthful look was played up with a nude lip and and simple tousled curls. In my opinion. Lea Michele looked the best she ever has on a red carpet donning a white Marchesa dress with fringe detail. Her bubble gum pink lip was a perfect way to add color to her over all look. Ginnifer Goodwin stands out in a neon pink Roksanda Ilinicic dress, with a lantern sleeve for a dramatic touch. Vampire Diaries star Nina Dobrev looked super sophisticated in Elie Saab. The lace detailing on the bust and sleeves brought more attention to the silhouette letting the starlet stand out. The People’s Choice Awards traditionally isn’t the fanciest of the award shows, and if done correctly, casual looks can look just as striking as black tie. Emma Stone chose casual and comfortable in head-to-toe Gucci. The female comedy winner wore an emerald green blazer with chain detail, paired with black slacks. Chloe Moretz kept it age-appropriate with a sleeveless Proenza Schouler black and turqoise tweed patterned dress with a black leather belt for an extra edge. Moretz who is already a fashion trendsetter at only fourteen embraces her young age and doesn’t choose older looks. One of the sexier looks of the night was a custom made leather and lace DKNY dress made for Ashley Greene. The Twilight star must have been inspired by her vampire character to vamp up the red carpet with a little sex appeal.
More blacks and whites took over the Critics’ Choice Awards, and my favorite of the night was hands down Michelle Williams. The actress looks statuesque in a Chanel gown with black satin shoulder embellishment, accessorized with the Chanel signature flower on a black belt. Not only does the dress fit perfectly to her figure, the star pulled off classic Hollywood glamour without show stopping colors. Charlize Theron also didn’t rely on bold colors to stand out, but her black Azzedine Alaïa gown was a successful edgy look (literally). The scalloped edges on the top of the gown compliments the ruffles on the skirt, giving her an overall symmetrically chic look. I will admit, I am usually not a fan of Tilda Swinton’s fashion choices, but the actress looks ultra chic in a Yves Saint Laurent pant suit. Never one to wear traditional gowns on the red carpet, Swinton stayed true to her androgynous aesthetic. The YSL suit channels chic minimalism with a white pant, matching the white detailing on her jacket. Miley Cyrus’s red carpet choices can also be a hit or miss, but the former Disney star and Youtube salvia queen was on the mark in this ivory David Koma dress. No one can deny the sheer panel against the deep cut of the dress, and the creative gem stone panels on the side make this a stunning look, making Cyrus a couture fashion contender. Diane Kruger, who never disappoints with bold fashion choices, looked the most unique in this Prada Grecian-inspired gown. The structure of the gown is impeccable with a mute yellow halter wrapping around the neck to her waste. The surprising color combo of grays and yellows was a fashion success, and Kruger finished the look by matching her pink lipstick with her Prada clutch. In 2011 Elizabeth Olsen not only made a name for herself in the acting world, but as an up-and-coming red carpet fashionista. I love the Emilo Pucci long sleeve mini Elizabeth chose for the Critics’ Choice Awards. The dress’s detail work makes it an absolute masterpiece, and the bright yellow hue looks flawless on the younger Olsen. Elizabeth wore a nude heel to match the nude lace detailing on the top of the dress.
All the ladies put up a fair fight, but my top three for best dressed are: Lea Michele in Marchesa, Michelle Williams in Chanel, and Elizabeth Olsen in Emilio Pucci. The 2012 award season has just begun and already the top starlets are coming out strong with their boldest looks.
Written by Eden Herbstman
Photos Courtesy of Patrick McMullan Company
Designs by Eden Herbstman
1. Ashley Benson in Alice and Olivia at Peoples Choice Awards, Los Angeles California, Photo Courtesy of Patrick McMullan Company
2. Lea Michele in Marchesa at Peoples Choice Awards, Los Angeles California, Photo Courtesy of Patrick McMullan Company
3. Ginnifer Goodwin in Roksana Illinic at Peoples Choice Awards, Los Angeles California, Photo Courtesy of Patrick McMullan Company
4. Nina Dobrev in Elie Saab at Peoples Choice Awards, Los Angeles California, Photo Courtesy of Patrick McMullan Company
5. Emma Stone in Gucci at Peoples Choice Awards, Los Angeles California, Photo Courtesy of Patrick McMullan Compnay
6. Chloe Mortez in Proenza Schouler at Peoples Choice Awards, Los Angeles California, Photo Courtesy of Patrick McMullan Company
7. Ashley Greene in custom made DKYN at Peoples Choice Awards, Los Angeles California, Photo Courtesy of Patrick McMullan Company
8.Michelle Williams in Chanel at Critics Choice Awards, Los Angels, California, Photo Courtesy of Patrick McMullan Company
9. Charlize Therone in Azzedine Alaïa, at Critics Choice Awards, Los Angels, California, Photo Courtesy of Patrick McMullan Company
10. Tilda Swinton in Yves Saint Laurent at Critics Choice Awards, Los Angels, California, Photo Courtesy of Patrick McMullan Company
11. Miley Cyrus in David Koma, at Critics Choice Awards, Los Angels, California, Photo Courtesy of Patrick McMullan Company
12. Diane Kruger in Prada, at Critics Choice Awards, Los Angels, California, Photo Courtesy of Patrick McMullan Company
13. Elizabeth Olsen in Emilio Pucci, at Critics Choice Awards, Los Angels, California, Photo Courtesy of Patrick McMullan Company