ELLIPSIS: DUAL VISION
1. What is your name?
2. What is the title of your new book?
3. When was the book published and by whom?
Just published by Glitterati Incorporated, 2015.
4. What other books have you authored?
A book of my drawings: Stephen Posen: Drawings 2003- 2006. My website, www.stephenposen.com, lists other publications.
5. What section should this new book be shelved under?
Photography and Art.
6. What is the book about? What is its plot, focus, or subject?
Ellipsis: Dual Vision contains a series of 174 of my photographs presented in pairs. Blurring the lines between realism and abstraction, I use the photograph as a poet uses the word, each image acting as both the symbol and subject of a larger idea. The photographs have been arranged in pairs based on color, form, content, or some ineffable interface. It is the viewer that is charged with filling in the blanks, that great elliptical space between the images.
7. How did this book come about?
A book form is really exciting and presents its own challenges. While my work had been running a parallel course between painting and photography, there came a point when I realized that my photography could stand independently, as my paintings do. At that juncture, making a beautiful book seemed to be the best way to communicate most broadly with an interested public.
8. What was the hardest thing for you about writing/creating this book?
The most pleasurable, as well as the hardest, parts were editing the pairs from my extensive archives and then sequencing the pairs for Ellipsis: Dual Vision. Exquisite pain, exquisite pleasure.
9. What was the easiest thing for you about writing/creating this book?
Easy? The joy of having the camera around my neck.
10. Who are some of the authors (or artists) you admire that have inspired you?
Jasper Johns, Cezanne, and Eggleston.
11. If it were entirely up to you, what would the film adaptation of your book look like?
OK, I think it would be a combo of Last Year at Marienbad and a Looney Tunes cartoon. Nuf said.
12. What are you working on now?
I am really excited about my newest work which pairs my abstract paintings together with my photographs. This kind of pairing has me absolutely fascinated.
Stephen Posen is a renowned artist who lives and works in New York. His work in painting, photography, and mixed media is prolific and dates from the 1970s.
Questions by PMc Magazine
Photography by Stephen Posen & Courtesy of Glitterati Incorporated
Design by Mina Darius
Ellipsis: Dual Vision by Stephen Posen, published by Glitterati Incorporated, http://glitteratiincorporated.com